Monday, April 16, 2012

SBTRKT


I only recently figured out that this artist's name is prounounced "subtract" which now seems obvious but I have been loving his music since I first heard "Wildfire" a few months back. I found it because I had been searching Little Dragon and their lead singer Yukumi Nagano does the vocals on this track. The song is incredible but the video is a little out there (which is good).



I recently heard some of the remixes of this song that feature Drake and while I sometimes appreciate Drake's talent, I think he subtracts from the overall effect of the song.

The self titled SBTRKT album contains quite a few gems including "Hold On" which features Sampha on vocals who I originally thought was an Aaron Neville/James Blake combo. The video is interesting but I prefer the song alone.



The song "Pharoahs" while not one of my favorite tracks on the album is still a solid track that actually shows some of the masks that are associated with SBTRKT. For a well-written article on this mask phenomenon, check out this article by Andrew Matson.



I also really love "Trials From the Past" featuring Sampha. SBTRKT's album can actually be listened to from beginning to end, which is quite an accomplishment these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment