Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Porto Street Art

When I arrived in Porto, my taxi driver could only get me about a mile from my hotel due to all the street closures for a city-wide holiday marathon/walk. This could have been scary because I had just arrived to a foreign country...in the dark...where I don't speak the language, but there were families and a marching band so the vibe was right. Walking the streets of Porto during a marathon with a rolling suitcase got me a lot of funny looks but I've come to the realization that I love that shit, it means I'm doing something out of the ordinary (all the best shit is). 

This was the first street art I saw, I had no idea that I would see this smiling face by the Chei Krew again.






Once daylight hit, it didn't take long to realize that Porto was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life (I'm sure the weather helped). 



One of my favorite things about the Porto Street Art is that the most prominent artists have extremely good taste in choosing the locations for their art. There also seems to be less mindless tagging than Lisbon, which I would visit next. Porto keeps it classy. Why would you ever want to have a blank wall when you could have a piece like this one from Mesk? I saw a Mesk in Barcelona as well.




The artist of the next few is Costah, who also does tattoos. 




@theringofdoom was able to climb in this cool cat for the photo. 



I saw another of these smoking dog Costah pieces in the Shoreditch area of London today...although it hasn't survived as well as this piece.



A great example of how teamwork makes the dream work.





































Hazul is another Porto artist who has great taste in locations for his art, still kicking myself for not taking a photo of his phone booth piece.






Hey Puke (or Duke) B, you're an asshole!








This guy Ojay from New Zealand nailed the whole stay classy thing.


Shoutout to this mystery artist for arting up this otherwise boring wall.


Hey Dasior Tattoo, I love Porto too. I know I'll be back.




This was all over Porto, I think it's a great idea.


School yourself on Porto Street Art here.

No comments:

Post a Comment