Monday, January 2, 2017

Thirteen Music Videos featuring Umbrellas

Here's the link to all the Umbrella music videos on a YouTube playlist. #YouTubeNchill

I just finished a book (Un Lun Dun by China Mieville) in which magical broken umbrellas (called uNbrellas) are used to protect (?) the citizens of the city under/above London from their biggest enemy yet, smog. Then, I saw this uNbrella today while walking in London and decided to resurrect this post from the depths of procrastination. You may not think you give a shit about music videos with umbrellas but I didn't know I was into Salt Beef on a Beigel (Corned Beef on a Bagel) until today; learning stuff about yourself is good. As if you needed convincing beyond the whole epic bagel thing, umbrellas have been chique since before Charlie Chaplin rocked one.



1. Main Source - "Looking At The Front Door" 1990  This umbrella's silhouette game is on point. I would have loved to hear the conversation about adding the umbrella as a prop to the video. Were they like "it needs something...shit, I got this umbrella, how bout this?...She could be like dating the umbrella or something?"



2. Cut Chemist - "My First Big Break" 2008  It's kind of awesome how much this umbrella adds to the video; since I find them almost useless in the real world (weird Seattle quirk). Since most rainstorms come with wind, umbrellas tend to make walking in a rainstorm a more stressful experience. I already knew I'd be down to go to any party in which Cut Chemist is the DJ but this video cements it; these people know how to have a good time.




3. Grimes - "Flesh without Blood/Life in the Vivid Dream" 2015  Grimes with a budget for music videos is one of the best things about life. Stay weird Grimes, I think you're great and loved that eight of the eleven people on your team were women when I worked my only stagehand shift for your show at The Showbox in Seattle in October 2015. #props




4. Bjork - "It's Oh So Quiet" 1995  My sister Ingrid made me a journal mod-podged with Bjork (as seen on the "Post" cover) on it in the mid 90s, it's filled with all sorts of teen angsty/crush/music lyric stuff since I was 16 when the album came out. Bjork has been inspiring me for decades and continues to do so with her new Bjork Digital Exhibition. I had an eight hour layover at the Reykjavik airport recently and they had this quote from "Joga" from the Homogenic album on a window that I had forgotten about, "I feel emotional landscapes they puzzle me." I've been trying to figure out what the hell that means for two weeks now but I still think it's rad she's achieved airport quote status. 





5.  Gifted Gab - "Dead Wrong" 2013  SEATTLE MUSIC  The musical journey of Gifted Gab will be the stuff of legends, she is one of the best rappers in Seattle...period. Gifted Gab was a perfect choice for the Swisher Sweets Convenience Store Sessions.



Gifted released "Gab The Most High" back in May 2016, this is what the Seattle Weekly thought about it.




6. L'Orange - "The Quiet Room" 2013  L'Orange has been steady grinding for years and makes the kind of music I love the most. He has excellent taste in both samples and in collaborators; Jeremiah Jae, Kool Keith, Stik Figa, Mr. Lif, and Homeboy Sandman. He's got a damn good squad behind him at Mello Music Group.




7. K.Flay - "Rawks" 2013  Hairless cat, mustard in reverse, big messes, slow motion scenes, flower head, AND an umbrella; this video totally rawks. She's headed out on tour in February, you should probably go see her.





8. Kool A.D. feat. Toro Y Moi + Amaze 88 - "The Front" 2014  The vibe is so right with this one; likely due to the supreme chillness of Toro Y Moi. That said, I can't recall any Kool A.D. music that I didn't like (but why would I want to remember that?).




9. Milosh - "This Time" 2013  Milosh flew onto my radar as a producer for Rhye when "The Fall" was released. This video is great because watching two people in love (the couple is Milosh himself and his wife, actress Alexa Nikolas) having a fabulous time together is a beautiful thing.




10. Tuxedo - "Number One" 2015  ReignCity hosted a sold out Tuxedo show at The Crocodile back in July 2015 and it couldn't have been more perfect. One of my favorite things about this video is that it is a really awesome commercial for Lacoste and New Amsterdam Vodka. I love the idea of sponsors for music videos because I hardly know any artists who actually have a budget to create visuals of this caliber.




11. Raven Matthews - "This Is Cinema" 2015  SEATTLE MUSIC  Raven Matthews life really is cinema, he is way ahead of the rest of the world in the game of self-awareness and embracing the weird and you should pay more attention. His Disco Christ album was released in July 2016 and it was so unique that no one knew which box to put it in... which is actually a really good thing. Peep an interview with him here.




12. ABRA - "Closet HD" 2016  I kinda think this song is a hot mess but I still fux with ABRA, she coo.


13. Rihanna ft. Jay-Z - "Umbrella" 2007  It's a no brainer. Get it Rihanna, you're a boss lady supreme. Thanks for being you.

No comments:

Post a Comment