1. Step Brothers (Alchemist + Evidence) - "Step Masters" 2013 This is one of my favorite music videos of all-time and as you can see, I watch a lot of them. It's great to see how much fun Alchemist and Evidence had while making this video. How could you not like them?
2. Prof Signs To Rhymesayers 2013 They announced the signing of Prof with a video that showcases why he is worth paying attention to. I would love to inspire artists to make more promotional videos like this because if you don't go all in, you'll never get to step out of a plane like this.
3. Brother Ali feat. Bambu + Mally - "Home Away From Home" 2014 Brother Ali's tour was kicked off with a video made in the bus at the start of their adventure. My team at ReignCity hosted them at The Crocodile in Seattle and Bellingham's Wild Buffalo. Rhymesayers knows how to help you help them, this video is great proof of that.
4. Grieves - "Fifth Element In-Store Recap" 2012 This video shows how well Rhymesayers artists treat their fans. Grieves and his team always kill it with the social media and are truly great people. The Winter & The Wolves tour made for another great ReignCity show in 2014.
5. Evidence - "You" 2011 If Evidence is on your team, you know you have something good going.
6. "Go Hands On with Lord Steppington! 2013" The Lord Steppington vinyl and CD have a fuzzy cover. You can't caress an mp3 while listening to it. I love that it had a big poster inside, extras like that are what make people want to buy physical copies. Vinyl with download cards included are perfect. No one should ever play a show without merch; if you make it, they will buy. Making a video about the quality of your merch is pro-style. There is still a huge lack of high quality women's clothing in the merch department. Don't you want the ladies wearing your name on their chest to look good?
7. Dilated Peoples - "Show Me The Way" 2014 (Produced by Jake One) This is one of my two most overplayed songs of the summer. Dilated Peoples had been on Capitol Records but released Directors Of Photography on Rhymesayers earlier this year.
8. Hail Mary Mallon - Behind The ... A Three Part Series 2014 They truly made the release of Hail Mary Mallon's Bestiary album an event by helping us get to know the artists and their creative process. My team at ReignCity and I get to host them January 23 at The Wild Buffalo in Bellingham with Homeboy Sandman, Darktime Sunshine, and DJ Abilities on January 23.
9. Dilated Peoples - 3 Part Promo Video for Directors Of Photography 2014 We already know and love Dilated Peoples and they still made a three part video to help us remember why they are on top of the game. If you tell people your story and you're making music that is unique and high quality, people will want to pay attention to you.
10. Atmosphere - "God Loves Ugly" 2002 The newer artists on Rhymesayers get the priceless guidance of the seasoned veterans Slug and Ant, who have been successful musicians and entrepreneurs since 1989 and are showing no signs of a slowdown. They founded Rhymesayers in 1995 with the help of Musab Saad and Brent Sayers (Siddiq) and have turned it into one of the best Hip Hop labels in the world. Almost twenty years later, they remain to be chart topping artists. Their chart-topping Southsiders album brought them to Seattle for another great ReignCity hosted show.
|Slug - Photo by me at Holy Cow Records in Pike Place Market|