Thursday, December 29, 2016

London's Gallery Road Part Deux

There is an Official Gallery Road in the Southwark (pronounced Suth-erk...I think) area of London but this one is a lot different. I was fortunate enough to wander up on the unofficial Gallery Road on a jet-lag, pancetta + cheese focaccia, and espresso fueled 8 mile mission to walk under the Thames River. As a personal challenge of sorts (too broke), I was only using my phone for music and photos (no maps) and finding my way to all the raddest stuff via the force.


Previous to finding this Gallery Road, my jedi had led me to my first Banksy spotting (3-5 miles away) so I was feeling pretty damn good. I have aspirations to make as large and unique of a mark on the world as Banksy continues to do and oddly enough I'm starting it off by taking a clay figurine on a tour of Europe (@theringofdoom). My pilgrimage to Banksy was already a success 24 hours in and I was just getting going.


I was drawn down Gallery Road initially by this one because it reminded me of the art from DJ Shadow's "Preemptive Strike" album. I posted this on @TheRingOfDoom Instagram and the artist, Kazz,  thanked me for posting...if the internet is real. 



I'd really love to know more about the artists and the history of the street art on this particular bridge, the rest of London, and the rest of the world so please leave any info you may have in the comments below. 


This snaky thing really does it for me... 


Shoutout to the #cactusgang for choosing the right colors.



I would imagine that this bridge has acquired many layers of paint throughout the years. 




This one is my favorite for many reasons; political commentary, mention of Banksy, my name happens to be on it. I'd really love to see what the stencil layer looked like before it was covered by another's work. I learned a lot from watching the "Graffiti Wars" documentary about Robbo vs. Banksy and will be on the hunt for where all that went down in a few days.




I'm down to dump trump whenever you guys are.



The dump trump message is only the tip of the iceberg of politically fueled street art that I've found so far on this trip. I hope to see more of this...compiling a collection of photos as I type.





Wondering what this one said before it was covered...


You'll know you're close to this magical place when you see this boat.


Here's a macro photo of spray paint from Gallery Road Part Deux just because I love you.



Once again, I'd love any and all info about the artists in these photos and all the rest. Feel free to reach out to me directly via any of my social media sites if you'd like me to help tell your story. Thank you to all the artists who contributed to this masterpiece of a bridge, I love you and please keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment