Saturday, December 31, 2016

Ten More Music Videos with Projectors

Here's the link to the projector videos I've compiled so far via YouTube playlist. #YouTubeNchill

1. Stalley - "Cup Inside A Cup" 2013  I started this list in 2013 when the song came out, which should clue you into the depths of the back end of this website. In the three years that have passed, Stalley seems to have fallen off my radar due to lack of buzz but the song still goes. I never got a chance to overplay it because it's not on Spotify.




2. Air Credits - "No Water" 2016  I just had the pleasure of working with these guys when they opened for Sims from Doomtree at Barboza in Seattle recently. Air Credits is ShowYouSuck and Steve from The Hood Internet; both gentleman are from the Chicago area and are wonderful people. They've united to create a concept album, I seriously fux with concept albums (Shoutout to Prince Paul & Automator). Here's what Consequence Of Sound has to say about the project:

'The concept goes something like this: Air Credits exist in a kind of dystopian society in the future, where Trump “never left office” due to advanced cloning technology. It’s a situation that’s laid out clearest in a hook on album closer “No Water”: “We ain’t got no water, plus we pay for air/ How we livin’ here, in the wasteland?”'




3. Deltron 3030 feat. Mike Patton - "City Rising From The Ashes" 2013  Special effects or not, it comes as no surprise that Deltron 3030 make use of a 3D projector from the year 3030. Artists like these are the ones that really do it for me. Dan The Automator, Kid Koala, Del The Funky Homosapien, and Mike Patton have made a career out of personal growth and keeping it weird. If you're on a mission to be prolific, as I've heard many say, Mike Patton's discography should encourage you to get to work...you've been slacking.




4. Cut Chemist feat. Chali 2na and Hymnal - "Work My Mind" 2013  Cut Chemist first grabbed my attention as one of the DJs for Jurassic 5, then he quickly became one of my favorite artists through his 45 collaborations with DJ Shadow (Brainfreeze & Product Placement). This video was made right around the time he sold his whole vinyl collection to Amoeba Music, an interesting decision I can vibe with because I move so much.




5. Låpsley - "Station" 2014  A projector, a video camera, and a willing participant were all that they needed to make this video. Using what you've got and keeping it minimal can be magical with the right team.



As proven previously with his remix of Daughter's "Youth," Budo has the amazing ability to make a great song into something that tugs at my heartcords and makes me wonder when he'll get the shine he deserves.




6. The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now" 1984  This song is 32 years old and still sounds fresh every time, to me at least. The Smiths have likely heard this song so many times that they cringe at the first note. I'm pretty sure that making something that can have this much longevity is what most musicians dream of.




7. Grape God feat. Ripley Snell - "Point God" 2014  (PORTLAND MUSIC)  I'm not into basketball but I definitely fuck with this song and these dudes. I've had the pleasure of booking these guys for a couple shows in The Crocodile Back Bar and they were just as weird as I hoped they would be.




8. Dam Funk - "Mirrors" 2009  This song was released on Dam Funk's 5xLP Box Set, Toeachizown, back in 2009 (here's what Pitchfork thought about it).  Shoutout to Peanut Butter Wolf for playing a vital role in the release of this album and everything else that you do, Stones Throw or otherwise. Peace and love to Folerio!




9. SBTRKT feat. Sampha - "Look At Stars" 2010  This was a bonus track on SBTRKT's self-titled amazing album. I've yet to see either of these artists live but I'm working on fixing that. SBTRKT is one of the Kings Of Music Videos With Masks, alongside MF DOOM of course.




10. Meyhem Lauren feat. Action Bronson + Heems - "Special Effects" 2012  Yet another video that makes me want to use a projector as a television. Shoutout to Action Bronson for showing the world that stoners CAN get shit done.


No comments:

Post a Comment