Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Ten Animated Music Videos Part V




Hey! I made you this photoshop collage of images from each of the videos on the list; all images are blatantly hijacked (I'll gladly remove the artist's image if they ask). I've also made you a YouTube playlist of all 50 of the animated videos I've featured on the website so far. I started making the YouTube playlists because I prefer music videos to television.


1. Ripley Snell - "Underworld Series" - [GTA V Short Film / Music Video] 2016  Ripley Snell and the Eyrst crew of Portland are the most interesting movement of art since Stones Throw and Brainfeeder. I've been fortunate to book him in Seattle with Grape God as Wine + Coffee for a Home Slice at The Crocodile Back Bar. One of my favorite things I've ever done was to set up a show in Portland at The Know with Wine + Coffee, DoNormaal, OCnotes, Raven Matthews, and Snugsworth.




2. Shabazz Palaces - "Forerunner Foray" 2015  SEATTLE MUSIC  These guys are light years beyond the label Seattle Music; so much so that typing it above almost felt like an insult. That said, their presence in our city is a blessing to us all. I'm confident the Black Constellation's legacy will be comparable to that of the legendary supercrew, Soulquarians. It is already to those who are paying attention.




3. BOOTS - "C.U.R.E." 2015  This video is a cinematic masterpiece. I haven't found another Boots song that I like yet but I'll keep checking back in because the video below is that awesome.




4. J'Von - "potato (animated short)" 2016  SEATTLE MUSIC  "a short animation featuring catman going thru stuff, i think idk. drawn, colored, animated, edited, produced, written, & scored by j'von." -J'Von's YouTube Credits

J'Von has been grinding away solo at these Catman based videos lately and the results made it all the way to FADER. In addition to the many talents listed above, J'Von is always on time. #hesthatclassy




5. Wiki - "3 Stories" (Produced by Kaytranada) 2016  I had the pleasure of working with both of these artists in the last few months at music venues in Seattle. Peep some of the footage in the video compilation I made. I've watched this video at least a dozen times; the Letter Racer team nailed it and Kaytranada and Wiki are at the top of their game.




6. Big Grams | Adult Swim - "Born To Shine" feat. Run The Jewels + "Run For Your Life" 2016  I love everything about Big Grams and this animated video is no exception. Plus, it's always a good idea to work with Run The Jewels; I'm hoping to do that myself someday. Adult Swim does a great job of keeping their finger on the pulse of the underground (and mainstream); that is not a compliment I give lightly.




7. Thundercat - "Song For The Dead" 2016  A huge thank you to the entire Brainfeeder team for blessing us with so much great art and inspiration.




8. Samiyam x Earl Sweatshirt - "Mirror" 2016  These two also did a "What's In My Bag" with the Amoeba team, check it out here. Earl Sweatshirt has managed to be that dude since before his mom made him quit rapping to finish high school.




9. MF DOOM - "GAS DRAWLS" 2016 (Video) This song originally appeared on the Operation: Doomsday album in 1999 and remains to inspire people to this very day. According to Rappcats, where I found this gem,"Animator Dustooned created a video for 'Gas Drawls,' taking inspiration from Doom’s album artwork, including much of Jason Jason illustrations for MM Food and the Metalface version of Operation Doomsday. The animation was created independently, and got the Doom stamp of approval just last week."



I can completely relate to Dustooned's inspiration because I have recently started an Instagram (@theringofdoom ) to document the adventures of my MF DOOM ring and have many plans to continue. It all started because I wanted to learn more about stop motion, iMovie, Reddit, Instagram, clay, fossils, petrified wood, and keeping it weird. TheRingOfDoom's Instagram is a story that can be read from the first post to the most current. The two of us are headed to Europe in December to investigate the street art and underground music communities...stay tuned.



10. Fashawn - "Confess" 2015  This video reminds me of Marley Marl's "The Symphony" in the best way; I it posted previously on a list of videos featuring fringe. Fashawn has been making great decisions with the people he surrounds himself with. When I saw him last, he was touring with Exile, Grandmaster of the MPC and the mega-talented video gawd Punit Dhesi.


No comments:

Post a Comment