Friday, November 25, 2016

Ten Music Videos With Great Location Scouts

Here's the link to all 10 videos on a YouTube playlist. #YouTubeNchill

1. Solange - "Cranes In The Sky" 2016  This wasn't intended to be a Solange video mixtape but she's been dominating the game and deserves all the praise she gets. "Cranes In The Sky" is art in it's highest form. The complementary wardrobe/location combos in this video had me taking deep breaths with my hand on my heart; this is good. Mad props to the whole team.

Directed by Alan Ferguson and Solange Knowles
Art and Creative Direction Solange Knowles and Carlota Guerrero
Director of Photography Arthur Jafa & Alan Ferguson
Edited by Solange Knowles & Russell Santos
Produced by Eli Cane




2. The Last Artful, Dodgr + Neill Von Tally - "Jelly Hunt" 2016  PORTLAND MUSIC  The Last Artful, Dodgr recently appeared on Sway's Universe and it was epic. Surprised that no mention was made of the EYRST crew but I'm sure they had their reasons. I highly recommend watching all of the videos on the Eyrst YouTube channel, you will not be disappointed.




3. Wiki feat. Nasty Nigel - "Livin' With My Moms" 2015  You would think that a music video about living with your mom would be about being lazy on the couch but I love that they went a completely different direction. I really fuck with music videos with storylines and they nailed it.




4. Sevdaliza - "Human" 2016  I honestly feel like I've been failing at music because I just discovered Sevdaliza a few days ago. The song alone can transport you to another land but the visuals prove that the other land may just be one pair of shoes away. Mad props to the wardrobe team and everyone else involved in this project, peep the full credits on the YouTube link.




5. Jamie XX - "Gosh" 2016  The story behind this music video is as inspiring as the finished product; the making of video was featured on Pitchfork. What I thought had to be CGI turned out to be an actual city in China (Hangzhou, Zhejiang) that has it's own replica Eiffel Tower combined with a 400 person cast, a Subaru, a budget, and a team of creative masterminds.




6. Solange - "Don't Touch My Hair" 2016  The story of the impetus of the song in the words of the artist herself:

It was 10 minutes into my 27th birthday when it happened.

I was at a lounge in Cape Town with my cousin and another friend having drinks. South African house music blared from the speakers in the establishment with a mixed crowd of Black and white party goers. By this point in the night, I was more than content with wrapping things up (washed) but it was my birthday so you know, you only live once, so I stuck it out.

While sitting at the bar, a white woman came up and tried to grab my drink. She was likely drunk. Not sure. Don’t care. Why are you touching what’s not yours? I stopped her and then she smiled and tried to play it off by joking with my cousin and I. A couple minutes later, she pets my fro.

I texted my friend back in the states. “I can’t believe some white lady just patted my hair in Africa, f――ing Africa!”

“WTF!” my friend responded.

This is just one instance of many ways black people are seen as a spectacle, exhibit or costume in the eyes of our white supremacist society and aren’t seen as fellow human beings who should be felt, understood and loved.





7. Statik Selektah feat. Action Bronson + Joey Bada$$ - "Beautiful Life" 2015  It really is a beautiful life; Action Bronson proves it over and over with every video he releases (see below). Fuck That's Delicious is my authority on travel at the moment and I am headed to this market in Barcelona at the end of the year. I love that Statik Selektah gets the main credit because producers bring too much to the table to not get the shine they deserve. I could gush about Joey Bada$$ again but instead I'll link you to my video from his last show in Seattle.







8. Destiny - "Orange Blossom" 2015  Destiny has evolved into Princess Nokia, I am all about following your creative whims to the ends of the earth. Props to her and her journey. Carnival rides = good vibes; unless of course, clowns are involved.



9. Grimes X HANA - "The AC!D Rain Chronicles {Director's Cut}" 2016 Grimes' musical evolution has been a blessing to both my eyes and ears; that said, this album sounds like super poppy Enya which doesn't really work for me. Even though I don't like the music personally, this project is amazing and now feel like I want to spend a few years traveling around the world filming all kinds of everything (this is not new). I hope she continues to stay weird and that she inspires everyone to make something.



From the creative and adventurous multi-tasking musician herself...



10. Solange - "Lovers In The Parking Lot" 2013  This proof that Solange has been doing cool shit since way before we were paying attention. Here's the link to the making of the video, courtesy of the The Creators Project. The video link on their website may give you a reason to cancel your Netflix for a month.


No comments:

Post a Comment