Sunday, February 28, 2016

Ten Music Videos With Power Jewelry

1. NxWorries (Anderson.Paak + Knxwledge) - "Suede" 2015  STONES THROW Anderson.Paak's septum piercing is the power jewelry but Folerio's tiny dog counts as a power accessory as well. I was down with Anderson.Paak before I heard this song but have now purchased my ticket to ride the "Suede" train. His Malibu album is the best full album I've heard in a very long time; thank you Anderson.Paak!





2. THEESatisfaction - "Recognition" 2015  THEESatisfaction have transcended the label Seattle Music and have moved into the Black Constellation. Mad recognition goes out to the ladies of Sub Pop for this project. Cat AKA SassyBlack is one of my three favorite people to follow on social media. Russell Simmons, Dam Funk, and SassyBlack are all about spreading the love and good energy. I fux with that hardcore.




3. Wati Heru X Kashaka - "New Blue Hunnids" 2015  All this Black light business is glowing power jewelry. It reminds me of the video for Kyla La Grange's "Cut Your Teeth." The beat is fire, the video is awesome, the lyrics are sus.




4. Heltah Skeltah - "Operation Lockdown" 1996  Shoutout to Wusaeng for scream-rapping Heltah Skeltah to me so I could fall in love with the Nocturnal album two decades late. The verse starting at 1:32 sounds almost exactly like Specs Wizard; trips me out every time.





5. Dynas + Tony Galvin feat. Slick Rick - "Who U" 2015  Slick Rick's signature eye patch, gold teeth, and chains make for an instantly recognizable animated character even without eyes or a nose. I wonder if there's already a Know Your Rap Chains quiz or app. Somebody jump on that.




6. SBTRKT feat. Roses Gabor - "Pharoahs" 2011  I actually think that this is the weakest song on his classic self-titled album...that just proves how rad the album is.





7. Diva - "Divinity" 2015  STONES THROW Her finger thingies are very much power jewelry but it'd be really hard to eat a sandwich with them on. Sacrificing lunch for fashion is a no go for me. Props to Diva for letting her inner weirdo shine.




8. Aku-Matu feat. The Lox - "An Ancestor From The Future" 2013  This lady is dope. Crazy that someone from the future has already contacted us via YouTube and there's not even 2016 views.




9. Lee Scott - "Butter Fly" 2015 (Produced by Dirty Dike) (UK HIP HOP)  I love that UK hard means baseball bats instead of guns. High Focus Records has quite a few artists on their roster but not all of them are that tight. I'm borderline disgusted and in awe of Dirty Dike; his "10 Dike Commandments" and "Pork Pie" had me hooked.





10. Kwamie Liv - "Lost In The Girl" 2016  I'm down with Kwamie Liv, she coo. Almost began another balloon list when I saw this. This song is aight but "5AM" and "Follow You" continue to be my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment