Thursday, June 27, 2013

Five Reasons Why I Want To Go To Bristol


I have a thing for Bristol, there seems to be something in the water that creates just the kind of art that I love. I shall go drink the water.

1. Massive Attack 

Here is a picture of the two current members of Massive Attack looking as if they are questioning the motives of the photographer.
 
 
My favorite Massive Attack song is "Protection".

 

2. Portishead

It is hard to find words to describe how much I love Portishead, so I will just tell you that I love them.


Here is a video of Portishead at their finest ("Roads" Roseland NYC Live).


I recently learned that Portishead was (and still is) a place near Bristol before it was an incredible band.



3. Banksy

Banksy is only the most famous of the street artists in Bristol. Street art in Bristol has become one of its greatest assets, they even offer tours which focus on Banksy and the others. I think Banksy is great because he created an international phenomenon just by being himself, even if he didn't mean to.



Here is a short documentary on Banksy called B Movie, which appeared as a bonus feature on Exit Through The Gift Shop.


There are tons of Banksy books, but, I am reading this one right now.


4. Tricky

Tricky, formerly of Massive Attack, is one of those artists whose genius most makes me want to drink the Bristol water.


Here is an old favorite Tricky song, "Overcome", off of his amazing Maxinquaye album.


Here is a new favorite Tricky song, "Nothing's Changed", off of his new album False Idols (which I haven't heard yet in its entirety).



5. New Era Bristol Hip Hop

This is Dirty Dike.

For now, Dirty Dike will serve as the prototypical Bristol Hip Hopper (sorry to the rest of you). From watching Dirty Dike videos, I realized that these guys likely party way harder than I ever could. It would, however, be extremely entertaining to see them in action.

Here are two Dirty Dike videos to drive the point home.

"Pork Pie"

"Ten Dike Commandments"

Maybe all this energy is coming from cocaine, but, I have to see this live.

Datkid is another one of Bristol's younger artists. Here he is (on the left) with Dee Green (right).

Here is one of Datkid's music videos in which he shows off his probation ankle bracelet.


One of the main reason I like these Bristol(ian?) artists is because of the beats. I have a ton of respect for these guys and only describe their wacky antics because I think it is part of what makes them special. I also realize that these two are a very small example of what Bristol has to offer. Please help me to find more great Hip Hop from the area if you know how to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment