Saturday, June 15, 2013

AlunaGeorge



AlunaGeorge is a duo from London,  Aluna Francis and George Reid. They first caught my attention with "Your Drums, Your Love". The video had a wolf looking creature made of mirrors (See Ten Music Videos Featuring Mirrors here), which is awesome. The song isn't as great as the video.

 
Then I came across their 2013 collaboration with Disclosure, "White Noise". I put it in the list for Eight Music Videos featuring Fierce Solo Dancing. I don't often like songs this dance-y, but, her vocals add the soul that is often lacking in electronic dance music; as a result, the song is fabulous.
 
 



Next, I found "Attracting Flies" and creating a list of Ten Music Videos featuring Literary References was the only option. This video manages to modernize multiple classic fairy tales in a three and a half minute video. Rapunzel grows weed in her tower with her eccentric lady friends. Little Red Riding Hood wears a red American Apparel hoodie, a tight red dress, and white sneakers. The Princess (and the Pea) has one of her anti-depressants under one of her many mattresses. A tattooed Prince kisses Sleeping Beauty to wake her. It is fucking awesome.



Most recently, I found the freshly hipped second version of her video "You Know You Like It" (originally released in 2011). There is something about this beat keeps me listening. Watch for the girl who has "rad" written on her forehead with hair @ 0:32. The "rad" hair girl is only one of the casually dressed (yet eccentric, hip, and unique) people at the empty pool party. I like how when they are dancing in a group of five, they look like they are chilling out and dancing at the same time.


Thank you, once again, to the Pigeons and Planes website, on which I found this and many other of my new favorite artists. Check out AlunaGeorge's website here. Their new album, Body Music, will be released on July 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment