Monday, September 18, 2017

The New Hotness Vol. 10


The New Hotness YouTube playlist is looking good these days...


1. Princess Nokia - "FLAVA" 2017  I'm very happy to link you to a review of this album on Mass Appeal written by Seattle's very own, Andrew Matson. He's been putting me onto good music since before I started this website eight years ago and it's great to see him progress. This album has been on repeat ever since I first hit play; Princess Nokia is Queen Bee of my world at this time... no question.




2. Mr. Lif + Akrobatik (The Perceptionists) - "Dirty Drumz" 2017  Mr. Lif speaks the truth, dirty ass drumz really are what it's all about; that said, health insurance would be tight.




3. Everything Is Recorded feat. Sampha, Ibeyi, Wiki, + Kamasi Washington - "Mountains Of Gold" 2017  Whoever picked this team knows what's up. Maybe it was Quincy Jones?




4. Leikeli47 - "2nd fiddle" 2017  Leikeli47 amazes me and I can't wait to see what she does next.




5. Liv.e - "FRANK" 2017  This artist is infuriatingly hard to google but there is a trail to follow via her Bandcamp page and Soundcloud pages. This album was released via the team at Dolfin Records (alongside Jon Bap, see below).




We were all wondering...





6. Jon Bap - "You Got It" 2017  I love that the internet unearthed Jon Bap to me; see below the visuals for some recent Soundcloud action.







7. Ibeyi feat. Kamasi Washington - "Deathless" 2017  Wicked awesome special effects; if you've been paying attention, you know I love those.




8. Magna Carda - "Joccin'" 2017  Magna Carda is one of the last shows I booked at The Crocodile Back Bar, they were on time, had great manners, and put on a great performance. This will get them everywhere.




9. HTMLflowers feat. Banoffee - "Chrome Halo" 2017  Banoffee first appeared on my site back in February 2014 following the release of "Reign Down" but came back up on my radar lately when Andrew Matson (from the Princess Nokia article above) posted this video on Twitter. When I first researched Banoffee, I found out that in addition to being an Australian musician, Banoffee is also a dessert pie made of bananas... so that's tight.




10. King Krule - "Dum Surfer" 2017  The new album is due out October 13, here's what Fader has to say about it. Here's hoping I'll be able to catch one of the tour dates. Mike Ramos wrote an incredible piece about 6 Feet Beneath The Moon for The Stranger that documented how the album helped people get through difficult times in their lives; I remain very impressed by both the album and the article.




11.  Kali Uchis X Princess Nokia as interpreted by MassHendrix - "Corsa" 2017  Still can't figure out if these Mass Hendrix videos are endorsed by the musicians but the end result is awesome. Whatever is going on there, Mass Hendrix has built up quite a collection of YouTube videos and I respect that. #props




12. Ladi6 - "GURU" 2017  If you follow the directions in this video by the New Zealand artist, you'll likely be a more well-rounded and positive person. Give it a shot, are you happy now?




13. L'Orange - "The Ordinary Man" 2017  The full album will be released on October 27 but we are blessed with this Oddisee collaboration to tie us over until we hear the rest. If you haven't heard the Adult Swim released album he did with Mr. Lif, there's still time; that's one of the wicked awesome things about music.




14. Radiohead - "Lift" 2017  If I act on all my creative impulses, I'll eventually recreate this video  (and "Daydreaming") w/ @TheRingOfDOOM and laugh my way through the entire process. My love for music drives me to do such weird things these days and I'm more than okay with it.




15. Blockhead - "Funeral Balloons" 2017  I found out about this project by subscribing to the Phat Friend email list because hearing about music from the artist themselves is where it's at... and sometimes the only way.



Here's a video of the vinyl pressing...




16. Nekubi - "NEK048: creative native" 2017  A weird and wonderful beat tape for your consideration...




No comments:

Post a Comment