Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ten Music Videos featuring Record Stores

1. Yancey Boys feat. Frank Nitt (Produced By J Dilla) - "The Throwaway" 2012  *We sell this cheese at my work called Yancey's Fancy and no one I work with gets it.



This song is made with unreleased J Dilla (James Yancey) beats.



2. Verb T - "Where You Find Me" 2012  (UK HIP HOP)  *I love this beat; the bass is great and it has soul. I really don't know how to talk about beats, I just know if I like it.


3. New Order - "Temptation" 1982  *I'm pretty sure this is not the original video because the clothes and the cars look too modern. Of course, New Order is great.


4. J Rocc - "Stay Fresh" 2011  *Mayer Hawthorne filmed this while he, J Rocc, and Peanut Butter Wolf were on tour in Japan (or so the YouTube credit says).


5. Lootpack (Madlib) - "Crate Diggin'" 1999  *Oh man, I love this.


6. Jin - "Top 5 Dead Or Alive" 2005  *This is the only Jin song that I really like. It is hard to pick a top 5 emcees because it is hard to know how to judge. Is it personal preference, content of lyrics, or skill level? I always like Mos Def, Method Man, and Q-Tip. The rest of my top 5 is always changing by what I am overplaying at the time.


7. Primal Scream - "It's Alright, It's OK" 2013  *This is what a new Primal Scream song should sound like (as messed up as that sounds). I always loved their "Movin' On Up" song from 1991.


8. The Roots - "Silent Treatment" 1995  *Another solid Roots track.


9. The Foreign Exchange - "I Wanna Know" 2009  *This song by Phonte and Nicolay is way more R and B than I expected. It's aight.


10. Erykah Badu - "Honey" 2008  *This video has the best use of a record store.

No comments:

Post a Comment